Sister of the African Prince, she was completed in October 1917 as the Glenlee for the Rio Cape Line Limited with Furness, Withy & Company as managers. Not to be mistaken by the vessel of the same name by the same Prince Line owner that was lost to U41 in 1915 some sixty seven miles South West of the Wolf Rock, the Glenlee #2 was built in 1917 by Charles Connell & Company at Glasgow with a tonnage of 4,915 GRT. A length of 400 foot 8 inches, a beam of 53 foot 5 inches and a service speed of 10 knots.
She escaped from a gunfire attack from a surfaced U-Boat on 25th June 1918 but she fell victim of UB57 and the SS Glenlee was sent to the bottom by one torpedo on 9th August 1918. The torpedo struck her in the starboard side between holds numbers 3 and 4. She was 4 miles East by North from the Owers Light Vessel and sank stern first in 15 minutes. One of her 68 crew, a gunner for one of the three guns with which she was armed, was drowned when she sank. Captained by George Lumsden, she was carrying 2,100 tons of steel billets and government stores for the government from Dunkirk to Portland.
- John Watt, Aged 21, Seaman, Portsmouth Naval Memorial. Son of Mr and Mrs Alexander Watt of 6, Fleet Street, Lerwick
The Wreck Today
Swept and salvaged, the Glenlee is well broken up and lies in 20 metres of water off Bognor Regis and Selsey at coordinates 40° 26.767′ N 79° 58.933′ W. The wreck site is now very flat with the ships hull being effectively opened up and flattened on the sand. It is easy to swim along the ships ribbing until you find the the 2 boilers standing approximately 5 metres high. Well silted, she lies with her bow to the North East.